top of page
New hampshire beautiful.jpeg



To register absentee by mail, you need copies or digital photos of proof of identity (ID) and domicile (address), and a witness. You will also need to satisfy one of the permitted excuses

  1.    Request the absentee registration forms:

Call or email your town or city clerk’s office or the Secretary of State (SOS). You can also request your registration forms by sending your clerk your absentee ballot request form

  2.  ​​ Check the mail or your email: 

Your clerk or the SOS will mail the forms to you. They can also email you the forms if you'd like to print them at home.

  3.   Collect your proof: 

You must provide proof of identity and domicile (your address). If you don’t have paper copies, you can take a picture of your ID or proof and email that to your clerk to supplement your application.

  4.   Fill out the forms:  

  • Complete the registration form.

  • Complete one of two affidavit forms:

    • The word “disability” here means an illness or condition that keeps you from appearing in person. 

    • Use the "Temporary Absence" form if you're out of town.

  • Don’t forget to sign your forms! 


  5. ​   Ask a witness to sign your affidavit:

  • Any person may serve as a witness. They just need to confirm that you are who you say you are. 

  • Some helpful tips:

    • Call a friend or a neighbor to be a witness. If you need a witness, call our Voter Assistance Hotline at 603-466-8683

    • Sign your form while your witness watches. 

    • Have your witness sign. 

  6. ​   Return your packet to your Clerk:

If you are unable to complete any of these steps, contact your Clerk for assistance. You may request accommodation if you do not have access to a witness or the ability to provide copies of proof of identity and domicile.  


Check out our Voter Registration page to learn more about all registration options

More questions? Call our Voter Assistance Hotline


bottom of page